Monday, January 31, 2011

Postcards from Maui - Day 3

1/31/11.

Woke up to a nice swell, pictured above. Trade winds returned after yesterday’s blow from the opposite direction. A lone stand-up paddler was surfing it. I still didn’t have a board. This was the morning I was going to get one.

So we left the swell and drove to Kihei to meet Tommy and Alisa Castleton of Maui Wave Riders. They run a great surf school in Kehei and Lahaina, and have become friends over the years. I got a board and learned their son had the day off and was lobbying heavily to head to “The Bay.”  Honolua had to have been more solid than where we’re staying. Tommy said he'd call if they were going to surf the spot out in front of our condo. I never got a call , so I assume their son got his way.

I did get in the water late afternoon. Had fun.

Friends of ours arrived … and landed the condo right next door.  This will be good.

Looks like I get to paddle tomorrow. Stoked about that – winds in Kihei look promising.


Every sunset seems to be different from the last. Here's tonight's:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment