Thursday, February 10, 2011

Postcards from Maui - Day 12

Today was our last full day on Maui. There’s a gazebo that serves breakfast and lunch next door to where we are staying. It's cleverly named "The Gazebo." There isn’t a bad seat in the house. 



Small world story: The hostess notices my Bay-2-Bay race T-shirt and asks what that is. I explained it’s a race from Mission Bay to San Diego bay that include kayaks, outriggers, and paddleboards. So she said she wants to try paddleboarding and mimes holding a paddle. I said I’m a prone paddler, not standup, and she blurts out “Do you know so-and-so?” Yes, I said, I bought a paddleboard off him just last year. I love that prone paddling is a small community.

After breakfast, I surfed with grandpa turtle again and paddled the 10-foot rental epoxy board a mile or so. I came across 5 bodyboarders dealing rather well with a slab wave.  The rest of the day, I hung out.

Just before 5 pm, we situated ourselves with wine and appetizers at the outdoor spot surrounded on three sides by water, and watched the sunset unfold. 





A sliver of sun peeks through the clouds near the horizon, just above the island of Lana'i.


And as we walked the half mile back to our rental condo, we overheard: “The water’s warmer here than in Santa Cruz.” Yes, it is. Tomorrow we fly back to San Jose and by Saturday, I’ll be in even colder waters, in Carmel. And I will be happy with that, too.



We both have enjoyed every moment of being here on Maui’s Napili coast.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment